|I||had||been writing||I||had||not||been writing||had||I||been writing|
|you||had||been writing||you||had||not||been writing||had||you||been writing|
|we||had||been writing||we||had||not||been writing||had||we||been writing|
|they||had||been writing||they||had||not||been writing||had||they||been writing|
|he||had||been writing||he||had||not||been writing||had||he||been writing|
|she||had||been writing||she||had||not||been writing||had||she||been writing|
|it||had||been writing||it||had||not||been writing||had||it||been writing|
Geçmişte olmuş iki eylem var ve bunlardan önce olanın sürekliliği past perfect continuous tense ile vurgu lanır.
1. Our game of tennis was interrupted. we'd been playing for about half an hour when it started to rain very havily.
2. Ken give up smoking two years ago. He'd been smoking for 30 years.
1. The police had been looking for the criminal for two years before they caught him
2. The patient had been waiting in the emergency room for almost an hour before a doctor finally treated her
3. He finally came at six o'clock I had been waiting for him since four - thirty.
Past perfect continuous: geçmişte bir eylemden önce başka bir eylemin süreklilik içerisinde olduğunu vurgular.
4. When judy got home, her hair was still wet because she had been swimming
5.Her eyes were red because she had been crying
Bu tens ayrıca geçmişteki bir eyleme yakın zamanlı fakat ondan daha önce olan bağlantısız bir eylemin sürekliliğini vurgulamak için de kullanılır
Past Perfect Continuous Tense